Beautiful Handmade Statement Necklaces and other Fabulousness from Neena Shilvock - Inspirations and Designs From the Week Gone by
Hello lovely people, I hope you're all well today. Spring is in the air - I don't know about you but it seems like we've had a very short winter to me. Perhaps because we haven't been anywhere, or done anything all year - it's as if 2020 was a damp squib all round.
2021 hasn't got too much to say for itself either - the first quarter has gone by without too much fanfare.
I'm about to have my second Covid jab on Monday and I fully expect to be filled with enthusiasm, to be greeted with bells and whistles, and confetti to shower upon me. 'You're immune, You're immune' sing the bells of St Godeberta, the church of the patron saint of epidemics.
But a little voice in my head goes 'Ah, but the vaccine has only a 75% efficacy rate - how d'you know you don't belong in the other 25%?'. And the bells fade away in the distance and eventually go muffled and silent.
There's no way of knowing, is there? One just has to plod on, masked face forward.
I've been looking at these photographs everywhere, beautiful women in their acrylic chain link necklaces - the first time I saw one, I didn't think much of it, but eventually the trend grew on me and I found myself sending for acrylic chain links and making one of them myself. I added some colour with a carabiner clasp from my collection, and a couple of dangles, including a bright green cloisonne dragonfly and a large baroque pearl. Each of the links clicks into the next one, so the necklace can be shortened easily if required. I actually like the look of it. What d'you think? I gave it a practice run and people at work loved it.
The silver pendant in this necklace came from Jaipur, India - the focal stone is a red jasper crowned by moonstones. I've had it for a while and had no idea what I was going to do with it until it's moment arrived and bang! the idea descended upon me like a bolt from the blue. Rutilated quartz beads that are faceted and reflect the light, accented by even more sparkle from faceted haematite that has been electroplated with silver seemed to be the perfect match, and so they were, when I put them together in a necklace of four strands.
The tiny rutilated quartz beads are in shades ranging from clear to grey, orange-brown and black and they match the jasper and the moonstone in the pendant perfectly. The light bouncing around this necklace when it is prismed over and through the little facets cannot be picked up in any still photograph.
If you wish to read about the properties of red jasper, you can do so here, and here's a link to an article about the healing properties of rutilated quartz.
That's me for this week, folks. Have a wonderful week, and I'll catch you next Friday, same time, same place,
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.